Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dirty Laundry

"I hope my children look back on today and see a mom who had time to play.
There will years for cleaning and cooking but
children grow old while we're not looking -
So settle down cobwebs,
dust go to sleep. 
I'm cuddling my little girls
Cause children don't keep."

I love this quote for many reasons! I've seen several different versions and each time it tugs on my mommy hearts strings. And lets face it, who doesn't like a good excuse to hold off on housework. If I need to play with my kiddos and get down on the floor and play princesses then I do it. If I need to color and sing songs loudly then lets go. NO one likes laundry, dusting, dishes over playing. You don't have to have kids to agree with me on that one.

BUT lately I've been convicted. I'm not a housekeeper at heart, so I do all I can to avoid it. I LOVE being a stay at home mom, but the cleaning part is not my favorite part of my job description. All that to say, I wondered if that quote really forces me to put down the mop and play some more, OR is it something else that distracts me from my kids? TV, yes I watch some but not when they're up. Computer, nope Emerson likes the buttons too much! What about my phone? Hmm...the smart phone. A great tool to help moms keep in touch with the outside world while juggling the chaos at home. A great tool to converse with adults while singing Jesus Loves Me and Twinkle Twinkle all morning long. A great tool to confirm your new normal of yoga pants, dirty hair, and running shoes is acceptable attire ALL the time. I admit I love my phone. It keeps me connected and in-the-know. This journalist at heart needs that, wants that and has to have the connection.

BUT, and this is a big but, is it worth taking away that precious time with my girls?!? I know the answer. I left my job in broadcasting to love on their little hearts, so really the journalist in me knew what I was doing. I haven't regretted it for one second, not one. SO why do I let a silly thing like a phone be my distraction. I can use it whenever I want. It's always available. Lets be honest, I use it for calls on occasion, but it's the social media that drags me in. One minute I'm looking at a friends status update, then a friend of a friends picture, then an article attached to the cousin of a friend, and so on. You get my point. 

So, I'm giving up Facebook and Twitter (I did that awhile ago, but elections drew me back in) for the time being. I will not be on it when my girls are awake or really even during nap time. If I need something from a friend I can actually dial a number. I will check Facebook at night because that is how I keep in touch with some people about important stuff (more than just day to day status update). You'll still see pictures of my little ones because instagram connects it to those sites. I'm not telling you this so you'll jump on board. I'm telling you as accountability. 

I am in charge of raising our girls to the best of my ability. I'm pretty sure that ability doesn't include social media. Not to mention I don't need to compare my parenting skills out there with everyone else on such sites. I'm the best mom to Stella and Emerson and I don't need to worry about if I did this right or that right. I don't need to beat myself up for not being as creative or superhuman like other incredible moms out there. I just need to be me. God chose me for my girls and I want to play more.

Yes, the laundry will still pile up, cobwebs will form, Facebook statuses will go unread, but life will go on and I'm excited. You might be wondering what I'll do during the time when the girls are playing on their own and don't want me to color or dance around like a fool princess? Simple, I'll be praying!

I'm currently in a great Bible study that is studying the incredible women of the Bible. Recently we studied Hannah. What an incredible women! I will be praying like Hannah. If i'm going to be the best mom I can be for Stella and Emerson, I'll be on my knees. My heavenly Father is far better than any advice on Facebook or one-liner on Twitter. So, bye bye social media, you'll be missed but I have no doubt life is about to get even more exciting.

I'm aware that only a handful of people read my blog, but this is for me and my commitment to my girls. And don't worry I'll still update this at night :)

my new version:

"I hope my girls look back on today and see a mom who had time to play.
There will be years for status updates and tweets but
Stella and Emerson grow old while we're not looking -
Settle down smart phone,
screen go to sleep
I'm dancing with my princesses
cause children don't keep."

5 comments:

Kim said...

I started a daytime break from facebook a couple of days ago. I tried it for about a week about a month ago and then slipped back into it. Now I am really going to try to stick to the break. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going.

Lyndsey said...

LOVE!

Lilly, Reid, Matt, and Sara said...

Syd I love this! You are a great Mommy! Miss you!

watch on line Indian tv dramas said...

Very nice blogger and Good post on this blogger

jeremy said...

Cleaning is a big factor in my life.
arizona dentist